FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2007 Match5, vsACMilan   

FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2007 Match5(Semi-finals) on 13 December 2007 19:30 Kick off at International Stadium Yokohama

Match Result
Urawa Reds 0-1 AC Milan(Italia)

Goals:68min Clarence Seedorf(Milan)


Comment of the Holger OSIECK(Team-Manager)
We were not just defending and able to show effort and also the football of Japan. We have one more game on Sunday and we are keen to be third place. So we are looking forward and never looking back. We would want to prepare for the game on Sunday reflecting on today’s game.

Seedorf sinks Reds in Club World Cup

Yokohama, December 13, 2007: Japan, and Asia, can be proud of Urawa Reds.
Despite losing their FIFA Club World Cup semi-final 1-0 to AC Milan, the Asian champions gave a good account of themselves in front of over 67,000 fans at International Stadium Yokohama on Thursday night.
The only goal of the game came in the 68th minute, when Milan’s Brazilian playmaker Kaka broke clear on the left and cut the ball back for Dutch veteran Clarence Seedorf to shoot home left-footed from eight metres out. It was all Milan would need to hold off Reds and book a place in the final against Argentina’s Boca Juniors on Sunday evening; Urawa will meet Etoile Sahel of Tunisia in the playoff for third place earlier in the day.
Both on and off the pitch, Reds have already made their mark on their first appearance in FIFA’s revamped competition to find the top club in the world from football’s six continental confederations.
Against a talented and experienced Milan team, Reds produced a 90-minute display of concentration and resilience to restrict the European champions to the solitary second-half goal; off the pitch, the thousands of Reds fans in the capacity crowd created an atmosphere befitting the occasion.
So many of these Club World Cup games, and before that the Toyota Cup, are played in near silence, like a training match, but the Reds-Rossoneri clash had a noisy and vibrant backdrop.
Excitement had been building from the moment Reds beat Sepahan 3-1 at Toyota Stadium on Monday, and reached a crescendo with the announcement of Milan’s all-star line-up.
Coach Carlo Ancelotti picked Dida in goal behind a back four of Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze and Jankulovski. Gattuso, Pirlo and Ambrosini formed a three-man midfield, allowing Seedorf and Kaka to support the lone striker, Gilardino.
Reds coach Holger Osieck stuck with his 3-5-2 formation, with Tsuzuki in goal, Tsuboi, Tulio and Nene at the back; Hosogai, Suzuki, Abe and Soma across the middle, and Hasebe behind the front two, Nagai and Washington.
Despite an early scare for Milan when Abe shot wide with his left foot and when Nesta was shown the yellow card for a foul on Tulio, the European champions quickly clicked into gear.
With their movement, technical expertise and organisation, they were able to dominate possession for long periods and keep Reds pinned back in their own half.

In the 13th minute, Pirlo tested Tsuzuki with a free kick from 35 metres which dipped late and forced the Reds keeper to palm it over the bar. Eleven minutes later, Kaka accelerated from midfield and showed all his balance, control and vision to release Seedorf to his right. The Dutchman’s shot, though, was tame, and Tsuzuki was able to gather the ball at the second attempt.
Not only were Milan knocking the ball about comfortably and drawing free kicks from the Reds players, they also displayed their classic pressing game to regain possession before Reds could settle.
Reds came more into the game around the 30-minute mark, with Hosogai muscling Jankulovski off the ball, Abe robbing Kaka with a superb tackle, Tsuboi turning on the turbos at the back and both Tulio and Suzuki producing some slick, confident passing.
As the first half drew to a close, Washington finally found some room to run with the ball at the heart of the Milan defence, and a four-man move ended with Suzuki sending a volley into the arms of Dida.
Milan visibly stepped up the pace in the second half, putting Reds under sustained pressure as they searched for the breakthrough goal. Jankulovski was just wide with an adventurous left-foot volley, Tsuzuki saved bravely at the feet of Seedorf, and Pirlo was too quick for Abe as he surged forward, the Reds midfielder being shown the yellow card for a late lunge.

In the 63rd minute, coach Ancelotti replaced Gilardino with the dangerous Inzaghi, whose appearance drew thunderous applause for the many Japanese fans of Milan in the stadium.
But it was Reds who came close to scoring next when Washington’s right-foot shot produced a flying save from Dida.
The first goal was not far away, and it arrived in the 68th minute when Seedorf, unmarked near the penalty spot, met Kaka’s low cross from the left and steered it past Tsuzuki.
Things got worse for Reds when Tulio went down holding his left hamstring and was replaced by Yamada in the 76th minute. This prompted a reshuffle in the Reds formation, as Abe dropped back to libero, Hasebe to central midfield alongside Suzuki and Yamada played behind the front two, adding some fizz to the attack.
With 10 minutes to go, Milan legend Paolo Maldini came off the bench to replace Jankulovski, and Reds replied by sending on Hirakawa for Soma.
As Reds searched for the equaliser, Milan looked for a second goal in the closing stages. Nene was booked for a foul on Kaka, Pirlo was just wide with a right-foot effort, and Seedorf shot into the side netting for the second time in the match.
When the final whistle blew, both teams could feel satisfied with their efforts — Milan for booking a place in the final, and Reds for putting on a good show for Japan and Asia, even in defeat.

Urawa Reds (3-5-2): Tsuzuki; Tsuboi, Tulio (Yamada 76), Nene; Hosogai, Suzuki (captain), Abe, Soma (Hirakawa 81), Hasebe; Nagai, Washington.

AC Milan (4-3-2-1): Dida; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Jankulovski (Maldini 80); Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini (captain); Seedorf (Brocchi, 90 plus 2), Kaka; Gilardino (Inzaghi, 63).

Yellow cards: Nesta (Milan 6 mins), Abe (Reds 52), Nene (Reds 83)
Goal: Seedorf (Milan, 68).
Referee: Jorge Larrionda (Uruguay)